History to start this mission
The palliative mission of the diocese of irinjalakuda originates its sprit of Lord jesus Christ, who healed the sick throught his public ministry. All the afflicted and suffering ones received consolation from him. This healing ministry is continued by the church throughout ages. Now , mar Pauly kannookadan, the bishop of Irinjalakuda diocese took a initiative to continue this ministry through a palliative care program in name hrudaya palliative care in memory of the first bishop of the diocese, mar James pazhayattil. He decided to begin this program immediately as home care fro his own experience in visiting the bedridden patients in their houses. Many of them are found to be deprived of any medical care , especially in the hilly villages of the diocese. It was inaugurated on 10th September 2016. It was registered as a public charitable trust in July 2017 (Reg. No. 85/IV/17) and the official launching of palliative care services was done on 9th September 2017 in connection with the Ruby Jubilee of the Diocese.
The home care service of the Hrudaya pallliative care started in regional basis. The key points of the history are as follows:
- . The trust was registered on 6th July 2017 with the sub-registrar of Kallettumkara
- . A seminar on the concept of palliative care and its principles was conducted on 12th August 2017 which was attended by 60 volunteers. . A seminar on the concept of palliative care and its principles was conducted on 12th August 2017 which was attended by 60 volunteers
- An Eecho ambulance was donated by well wisher and Syro Malabar Major Arch Bishop Cardinal George Alenchery Blessed on 18th August 2017
- A meeting of doctors was convened on 27th August 2017 which was attended by 35 doctors
- On 9th september 2017 the inauguration of home care programe was done on the Ruby jubilee day at Bishop house Irinjalakuda and the blessing of hrudaya central office at Aloor
- The Irinjalakuda regional centre office at St.Vincent diabetic Hospital, Irinjalakuda was blessed on 4th October 2017 by Mar Pauly Kannukadan
- The Mala regional centre office at Infant Jesus mission hospital, Meladoor was blessed and inaugurated by Mar Pauly Kannukadan in presence of M.L. A. V.S. Sunilkumar
- The physiotherapy unit at irinjalakuda regional centre was inaugurated on 14 January 2018.
- The chalakudy regional centre at chalakudy was blessed and inaugurated on 18 April 2018
- The kodakara regional centre was inaugurated on 8th December 2019
The foundation stone of Hrudaya palliative care centre was laid on 23rd December 2019